Monday, March 31, 2014

Ally's Wish

 Cancer is a lonely place to be.  Instead of planning out dinner menus and baseball schedules, I'm making end-of-life plans.  Instead of dreaming up the next family vacation, I'm fretting over life insurance policies and trust funds for the boys.



I have good people in my life.  Really.  I have GOOD people in my life.  A few weeks ago, I met a group of friends for dinner.  I had no idea why we were gathered, but I quickly found out that it wasn't just to talk about hedghogs, our kids, and shampoo.  No, they had something much bigger and more important.  Something that made me forget for a while that my life is not what I want it to be:


Ally's Wish is a new foundation put together by my amazing friends.  The purpose of Ally's Wish is to grant wishes for other mothers with terminal illness.  Spread joy.  Give hope!

I can not think of a more fantastic way for my legacy to live on.  It's not often that I am without words, but I was at the dinner table that night.  My friend Missy explained to me how she had been praying faithfully for me (which I knew she had been).  Like so many of us, she wanted to do something.  She wanted to put something behind her words.  But she didn't know what.  So...she kept praying.  And one morning, God gave it to her.  She immediately called the other friends, and Ally's Wish was born.  They had the whole thing put together and finished before they ever even presented it to me.  There was not a fear that I would say "no".  Because God was at work...there was something so much biger happening than what any of us could ever do on our own.

 At dinner that night, they asked me what my wish is.  They wanted mine to be the first one granted.  They said that I should dream big.  They said that I should think outside the box.  They said that I am loved, and that people want to help.  

So, I am thrilled to tell you that my wish is for this blog to be published.  I don't necessarily want it to be on a shelf in every Barnes & Noble across America, but I want it to be published at least so that each of my boys can have a copy of their own--a way for them to remember that their mom loved them with every inch of her heart.

Maybe you want to help.  Maybe God is leading you to bring hope to other sick mothers the way these friends of mine have brought hope to me.  Maybe you want to donate or volunteer.  Go to our website and look around.  I hope your heart is touched and you are moved to help.  On behalf of moms like me who love their kids and will have to leave them sooner than we want to...thank you.  Thank you for being an instrument in God's hands.  Thank you for reminding us that there are still good things to be had, joy to fill hearts like ours.  He is a good God.  

14 comments:

Lori said...

You DO indeed have wonderful friends! And I LOVE YOUR wish. No big words for this post because it just brings me to tears. I am sooo PRAYING for a miracle but even IF that does not happen, I believe that indeed you will leave imprints on the heart of many--including myself. I hope to be able to help others in some way as others have helped you. God Bless you, your husband and your sweet cowboys, Ally!

Anonymous said...

Donation made. I've been wishing there was something I could do.

Liz said...

I donated & now I'm sharing on Facebook. This is where having 1700+ friends comes in handy! :)

Lori said...

How does one donate? I clicked on the "Ally's Wish" and saw just the photo. I'm not too tech savvy unfortunately, lol.

Unknown said...

I have hoped & prayed that your blog would be published. It is one of the most inspiring & touching pieces of literature I have ever read! I pray for you daily! Donation made to see your dream become reality. Bless you & your family.

Anonymous said...

This is my prayer that you are able to have your testimony published. I wanted you cured, healed and without cancer. The horrible day I found out you were with cancer again I said, "NO" and prayed without ceasing. I prayed for the boys to have a mom. They need their mom. God has said no. I don't like that answer. I am still praying but God says you are better than most. God is saying you are bringing more to Christ through HIS strength in you. I am smaller than God but you are not. God says HE will take care of those beautiful boys. GOD says HE will comfort them into the beautiful men they are to be. YOU are living for Christ and HE WILL TAKE CARE OF YOUR FAMILY. YOU WILL SEE THEM AGAIN. I love you and I am still selfishly praying for a miracle and for your peace. Amen

Unknown said...

I love you so much and I will donate and I would love to do anything I can.

Saint Nolt Sews said...

I do a lot of digital scrapbooking and have published a few things with Blurb.com. They have an easy format for making a blog into a memory book.

Your words are beautiful and deserve to be preserved and cherished by your boys.

Miss Pat can find me, if you need more info.

Kathleen Noltensmeyer

Jennifer Bremer said...

I just found your brilliant, wisdom-filled blog, and I am grateful. With so much nonsense discussed and advertised and published in the world, you are so right to publish something like this -- so filled with wonder and beauty. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with the world.

Unknown said...

I have enjoyed your thoughts very much too, your friends are very thoughtful! Our church has a theme song right now "My Heart Says Amen" based on a verse in Ps 40:8.
I have yielded myself to Thy service, And Thy presence my bosom doth fill; O my Saviour, I haste to obey Thee, And my heart says amen to Thy will.
All the heart ties of earth may be sundered, So that I may Thy purpose fulfill; Help me gladly submit and not murmur, Ever saying amen to thy will.
Tho' my plans and my hopes may seem blighted, I will love Thee and trust in Thee still, For I know all is well that Thou doest, And my heart says amen to Thy will.
When I pass to that heavenly country, And my soul with its glory doth thrill, This forever shall be my rejoicing, That my heart said amen to Thy will.
Chorus: Yes, my heart says amen to Thy will, Lord, And I know that Thou lovest me still, While I bow low in humble submission, And my heart says amen to Thy will.

I think of you Allison every time we sing this and breath a prayer for you and your loved ones that God would carry you gently in His loving arms! --Faith H

Anonymous said...

Crying here, for your beautiful heart, your beautiful family, and your beautiful friends. Wow, what a blessing they are. Count me in for a donation. I am continuing to pray for you.

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog yesterday. Your words are real and inspiring and hit so close to home with me. I have clear cell carcinoma ovarian cancer. I have had 3 surgeries and 20 weeks worth of chemo which ended on November 14th. At no time will I be cancer free however at this time I am really good. I too have amazing friends and family that have helped me every step of the way. My church family has been incredible. My only difference is my husband asked me for a separation only 8 days after I was told I had cancer. I stayed in my home which we shared until the end of November. I will continue to follow you. I did not blog but I did use my facebook similar to a blog to help me. My friends created a special facebook called Prayer's for Donna on Facebook which was closed (not for public) which I shared my true feelings about things and my cancer that I knew they could handle. Sending all my love and prayers to you during this time. Love, Donna M. Manna

A friend of your sons said...

If this blog was published in barnes and noble I would go out and buy itas soon as I could

Anonymous said...

Just don't forget your family!!!!