Friday, November 11, 2011

Happy Birthday, Baby!

Dear Baby,
Today you turned six. Six! You told me a few nights ago that after your birthday, you would need two hands to show people how old you are. The tiny hurt in my heart grew just a little bit more when you said that. You probably don't know it, but every new experience you have makes me happy and sad at the same time. Happy because you are a perfectly delightful little person who loves life. Sad, because you are proof that my babies are growing up faster than I care to admit.
But I can't stay sad for too long. You don't allow that! You are way too busy growing and learning and performing and smiling. This year you have had a long list of "firsts." You rode your first real roller coaster. You moved in to your first room all of your own. You jumped off the diving board for the first time. You had your first day of kindergarten. You read your first words.
You are amazingly wonderful. You also do things that make me shake my head and ask "Why?". Like when you colored the bottoms of your feet completely red with a marker. And like how you continue to throw your backpack over the top of your head backwards so that the weight throws you off balance and you topple over onto the sidewalk. And when you lay down on your stomach by the pond at the park so you could try to catch fish with your hands. You are silly, and so very fun.
You like cereal. You are happy in the mornings. Your favorite thing is to ride scooters with your brothers out in the cul-de-sac. You insist that both Daddy and I tuck you in every single night. You always want to be the one to say the blessing before dinner. You have new friends at school, but you still want to hang out with your old buddies. You love school, and your brothers think you're weird because you get excited when you have homework. You want to go to big church with us instead of children's church. You like Legos and knock-knock jokes.
As I write this, you are laying in my big bed snuggled up to me. We are watching some of our favorite Phineas and Ferb episodes. You have your blue blanket tucked under one arm, and I have to smile. It reminds me of the night of November 11, 2005 when we were alone in a hospital room together. You were snuggled up to me with a blue blanket tucked around you that night, too. You are growing up, but you are still--and always will be--my Baby.
Happy two-handed birthday, darling boy. I love you with all my heart.
Love,
Mommy

No comments: